Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Dollar Store 1930 Style Bowler Hat Tutorial | Halloween Costume Ideas


I needed an affordable 1930s style hat for a simple woman's Halloween costume accessory, so I picked up a simple plastic bowler hat at the 99cent store.  This inexpensive hat was a pretty good choice because it was felted on the outside of the hat which provided me with a nice base to create a hat for my costume that did not look too cheesy.  Below is how I made this easy to decorate 1930s inspired bowler hat for my Halloween costume.



Materials Purchased at dollar store:
  • ·      Plastic Bowler Hat  
  • ·      Black tulle (4” wide)
  • ·      Grey burlap
  • ·      Fabric  flowers


Supplies Used:
  • ·      Glue gun
  • ·      Glue
  • ·      Twist tie
  • ·      Black Cotton Thread
  • ·      Sewing Needle




Step 1:
Cut the tulle fabric long enough to wrap around brim of the hat twice.  Glue or sew onto the brim of the hat.


Step 2:
The take a 6 inch square piece of fabric and gather it in the center, use a twist tie to hold it in place while you sew the gather.


Step 3:
To make the focal piece for the hat, use the glue gun to attach the flowers to the fabric square.  


Step 4:
To finish the hat, glue the focal piece onto the hat.

The total cost of materials was around $4 (plus tax).  I think that was a pretty good cost for a costume accessory and I was happy with the way it came out.

Note:  I prefer sewing the flowers to the hat so they won't fall off during the party.  However, you can easily use a hot glue gun to glue the decorations onto the hat.



No comments:

Post a Comment