Thursday, September 22, 2011

My Experience with the "Handmade Embroidery Kit" from EK Success Brands


I was very excited to find out that I would get a chance to make and review some embroidery products.  I love embroidery because it allows for so much creativity and it is a very portable craft.  Those of you who sit on the sidelines of your children's sports events can relate to the need for that.  The kit I received is from Dimensions and is from the new "Handmade Embroidery Line".  The Butterfly Ornament Kit is designed by Carolyn Gavin for the E.K. Success Brands company.    The project is 4.5" by 5" and  is simple enough to finish in one evening.

Above is a quick look at the contents of this kit which include the following:
● Project directions.
● Printed poly/cotton fabric
● Die-cut polyester felt shapes
● Pre-sorted cotton thread
● Polyester Stuffing
● 1 needle

The instruction booklet and the Dimensions website do have some simple instructions and diagrams for their versions of the following stitches and knots:

● running stitch
● straight stitch
● back stitch
● chain stitch
● french knot

The first thing that I did was to lay out the supplies to see what I had to work with.

Then I followed the instructions that said to fold the long edges of the yellow piece fabric, so that they meet in the center.  I found it is easier to iron the edges down so they woud hold their shape while I stitched.
I then sewed a running stitch down both sides of the folded fabric.  This piece will be used to create a hanger for the ornament.


The instructions directed me to sew the yellow piece to the large blue butterfly die cut.  Once that was sewn, I added the small pocket on to the back.
Then I took the white flower die cuts and stitched them according to the directions.  I found using two strands looked much better than just using one (as the instructions suggested).


I then stitched the rest of the die cuts loosely following the directions (since I used two strands instead of one). They give you plenty of thread in the kit, so this was not a problem.  I took the different die cut shapes and sewed them onto the orange butterfly die cut.

The orange material started to fray as I sewed the die cut pieces on, so I put a little liquid seam sealant to prevent that from continuing to happen.  I thought about trimming the frayed bits off but I think they added a little character to the butterfly ornament. 

As I was working on this project, I realized it would make a cute tooth fairy pillow.  That cute pocket in the back is just the right size.
So once I had finished all the accent stitches, I added some beading to add a little more dimension to the butterfly ornament.  I know my daughter will enjoy this cute decoration to hold little treasures.  This would be an easy project to introduce someone to embroidery.  All the tools are included and the directions are simple to follow.

Tips:

●  Keep the color picture, you can use it as reference, incase the diagrams do not make sense to you.
●  Utilize the color coded card to perfectly match the colors to the diagrams.



●  Place all the parts in a ziplock for an easy and inexpensive traveling kit.  Just grab it and you have something to work on in the doctors waiting or sports events sidelines.
● Thread is on a presorted color coded card to make it easier to complete project, just match the color to the drawing and stitch.
● Be careful of the aqua green and blue which are kind of similar in color.   They blend together to easily.  A brighter green would have been nicer mix with the bright pink and yellow to give more dimension to the project.
● The orange butterfly die cut does fray.  I used a liquid seam sealant that prevents fabric from fraying to avoid any frustration on my part.


Disclaimer

No comments:

Post a Comment